~Me~

Been obsessed with books and writing since I was 8 years old. Then I lost it when I pursued writing in college. Now, I'm trying to find that drive again.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Romance in Novels, Romance in Movies and Romance in Reality

The big difference between love and romance:-
  • Love - a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person
  • Romance - a love affair, especially an intense and happy but short-lived affair involving young people; traditionally, a literary work depicting heroic deeds (in short, similar to a story of knights rescuing princesses)
But which would you prefer, love or romance? Obviously, love in real life and romance in fictional stories.
Alas, I can feel no genuine affection for anyone nor I believe that anyone would possess true affections towards me. Thus, I indulge myself in romantic movies and novels whose heroes and heroines find their true love in short of a time and the story line going accordingly to satisfy the readers' and viewers' expectations, unlike reality where nothing goes accordingly and carries no guarantee of sweet happy endings but bitter ends.
Isolated from romantic affections and depressed because of it for so long a time, I've finally regained some romantic fantasies - excluding illicit desires - from a classic novel (Jane Eyre) about a plain young woman who fell in love with and loved in return by her stern, harsh employer. Another novel (Vampire Kisses), a modern work quite humorous despite the heroine being of vampiric and Gothic nature. In the first book, she is a much ostracized teenager because of her looks but finds true love in another much ignored soul of her own kind. Sadly, at the end of the book, he leaves abruptly without an explanation - except a note written with 'Because I love you'.
In both books, never once did I not cry when the memories of my rejection and dejection were brought up by the similarities of the story and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment